East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police laid several charges against an Elliot Lake man for driving while suspended and possession of a firearm.
Police pulled the accused's vehicle over around 12;15 p.m. on July 8 and determined he had a suspended license and no insurance.
When the vehicle was searched, police allegedly found a rifle and ammunition which the accused was not authorized to have under a previous release order.
Jonathon Lavoie faces several charges, including two counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm, and driving while under suspension and without insurance.
The full OPP press release is included below.
On July 8, 2022, at approximately 12:15 p.m. the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were on regular patrol duties and conducted a traffic stop on Hutchison Avenue in Elliot Lake.
Investigation determined the driver had a suspended license and no insurance on the vehicle. In addition, a rifle and numerous rounds of ammunition were located in the vehicle. The driver was on prior conditions to not possess these items. The vehicle was towed and the driver was arrested.
Jonathon Lavoie, 63 years old, of Elliot Lake was charged with:
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm (Two Counts), contrary to section 91(1) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Occupant of Motor Vehicle Knowing There was a Firearm, contrary to section 94 of the CC
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm (Two Counts), contrary to section 92(1) of the CC
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order (Seven Counts), contrary to section 117.01(1) of the CC
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act
- Owner Operate Motor Vehicle on a Highway - No Insurance, contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
The accused was scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice Bail Court in Blind River on July 11, 2022.