ANALYST PROGRAMMER – MANUFACTURING APPLICATIONS
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The successful applicant will be assigned to Information Technology and Business Process Improvement department and report to the Manager – Manufacturing Applications & BPI. As a member of our Information Technology team, you will be interacting with Technical and Non-Technical personnel to ensure the reliable, secure, efficient and stable operation of Algoma’s data communications and level2 hardware. This includes identifying network requirements; planning, developing, installing, configuring and testing equipment, establishing connections and firewalls and defining the policies and procedures of the network; supporting and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links. The person will also monitor network performance for availability, latency, utilization and throughput; analyze and resolve incidents and problems in a timely manner and provide end user training where required. to ensure a reliable, secure and efficient data communications network analyze workflow and security requirements and design router administration. In addition, they look at network performance issues such as availability, latency, utilization and throughput.
The role is to ensure the stable operation of Algoma’s computer and telecommunications networks and their links to external networks / internet. This includes planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network, telecommunication and video/audio conferencing hardware, software, and communication links. The person will also analyze and resolve related problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end user training where required.
- Establish network specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols
- Perform design and capacity planning of networks, telecommunications and video/audio conferencing systems
- Budget for equipment and installation costs\
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for administration of network, telecommunication and video/audio conferencing infrastructure, appropriate use, and disaster recovery
- Establish service level agreements with end users
- Conduct research on network, telecommunication and video/audio conferencing products, services, protocols, process application hardware and standards to meet Algoma’s current and future needs
- Establishes network/hardware specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols.
- Plan and execute the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment;
- Create projects that are designed to either add functionality required by the company or to address ongoing network/hardware failure issues
- Create expense authorization requests, bid specifications and purchase requisitions in support of network procurement and development efforts
- Oversee installation, configuration, monitoring and maintenance of network hardware, software and security solutions
- Test, evaluate and install network enhancements to ensure that they are the best choices
- Implement secure network access protocols and then monitor and evaluate them for issues
- Interact with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Manage all network, telecommunication and video/audio conferencing equipment and software, including routers, switches, hubs, UPSs, cameras, televisions, level2 hardware and conference phones.
- Manage security solutions including firewall, anti-virus, intrusion detection and breach prevention systems
- Develop methods and tools to be used to test and implement new LAN/WAN equipment
- Define network policies and procedures
- Test, evaluate and install network enhancements
- Get cross trained on current legacy level2 hardware which may be obsolete and be able to support such hardware
- Implement secure network access protocols and monitor and evaluate them for issues
- Ensure network connectivity of end-user devices, IIoT devices, workstations, automation systems (except proprietary or physically isolated control system networks) and datacenter systems
- Administer all equipment, hardware and software upgrades.
- Evaluate network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency
- Troubleshoot network problems and ultimately enhance performance for users via performance tuning
- Practice asset management for network, telecommunication and video/audio conferencing equipment / systems, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Administer and maintain end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Perform security audits.
- Perform system backups and recovery.
- Monitor and test network health and performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science / Electronics Engineering / related field of study or equivalent college diploma
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience in all areas of networking
- Knowledge of Fiber Optic, Ethernet, and Digital video transport technologies, level2 hardware
- Knowledge of LAN / WAN networks, IP VPN (MPLS) service, wireless technology (WLAN), WiMAX
- Working knowledge of IP networks and technologies (STP, OSPF, VRRP, LACP, HSRP, QoS, DHCP, DNS), Avaya technologies, and Cisco technologies
- Exceptional analytic and troubleshooting skills
- Industry-recognized training and certifications for Nortel / Avaya / Aruba/ Cisco, CompTIA
- Experience of working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Experience of working in a 24 x7 manufacturing industry environment is desirable
- Good documentation and record keeping skills are essential
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- On-call availability outside normal work hours, as required
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Protective gear may have to be worn in certain locations
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to handle or operate IT equipment, power tools, and other components
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors, ceilings, basements and conduits may be required
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as IT equipment and peripherals.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.